Home
FGG#4,405
 Subscribe in a reader

14 March 2008

News

It has been a busy week in the news for cyclist this week. Since I like to end on a good note let me start with this:
Condolences to the families of
Kristy Gough, 30, of San Leandro and Matt Peterson, 29, of San Francisco. Kristy and Matt died last weekend after being hit by a car. I have nothing to add to or any comments on the events leading up to this accident. More details can be found here.

This is just one of those tragedies that makes me rethink my trips up Logan Canyon or vacations down the coast of California on Hwy 1. I feel the suck of a 18 wheeler passing to close down in my bones, in my marrow and my skin crawls. I can been mad later....

As many of you can tell, this blog has departed from the traditional, "Here is my ride..." or "I really bonked today..." I'm looking forward to getting out under the sun and on top of some hot asphalt... Uh.. scratch that asphalt bit unless it is taking me to some red dirt. Yep, I'm stir-crazy with spring! Yet, Monday wasn't particularly great. I was in Ohio for a funeral and was sent a few notices about the crash that I've already mentioned. Cleveland was still recovering from a blizzard.Unable to ride or do much else... I started reading.

After receiving a few emails back from the Cascade Bike Club and
James Malone, Dist. 12A (Maryland), I was starting to get a bit down. Starting a 3Feet campaign in Logan is just not happening. Add to the fact and my personal realization of how little 3 feet really is. I'm wanting to spend time and energy to only fight for three stinking feet of road? It is ridiculous! How about 4 or even 6 feet? By Tuesday I was ready to quite. What good was 3 feet anyway.

Then I read this! A driver is acutely being taken to court in Utah for violating the "Give Cyclists 3 Feet" law and the prosecutor Sim Gill is being pro-active. Sim is going after a bad guy because the rights of a cyclist were violated.

Let me say that again, "Cyclists Rights". I'm starting to feel better now...

When I first heard about the Salt Lake case while riding I thought it was hearsay. Wow, how great it feels to be wrong. Then came some more uplifting news. The City Councils of Chicago, New York City, and Washington D.C.have just beef up existing laws to protect cyclist. These laws also include fines between $150 and $500 but only if a crash results.
Here are the additions:

  • Turning Left or Right in Front of a Bicyclist
  • Overtaking a Bicyclist at an Unsafe Distance (defined as three feet)
  • Opening a Vehicle Door into the Path of a Bicyclist
  • Driving, Standing or Parking in Bike Lanes or Marked Shared Lanes
Then I got to read a Business Wire on AAA - yep that is AAA as in automotive help and hotel discount:

This proposed ordinance clearly defines the rules and responsibilities and will increase the safety of everyone who shares the roadways in Chicago, said Beth Mosher, spokesperson for AAA Chicago. Chicago has become a terrific multimodal city, and now pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists alike need to do a better job of sharing the roads safely.

Mosher then follow that by saying,
This ordinance underscores rules that motorists should already be following for the sake of their fellow travelers."

And what is Richard Daley saying? Well he has chimed in with, "We are committed to making Chicago the most bicycle-friendly city in the country, and safety is a very critical part of the plan."

Words and works of HOPE...

YET the best part of today was an email form Nicole Freedman (Director of Bicycle Programs; Boston, MA). Ideas for a zero budget and big impact... and another post....

Friends,
All the best and rubber side down!

No comments: